Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana is an empowerment scheme to improve the livelihood of tribal communities in India. It was launched by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs & Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) in 2018.
Under this scheme, till now 1205 tribal enterprises have been established. According to the report, these enterprises provided employment to 3.6 lacs tribal forest gatherers and 1800 self-help groups in 22 states.
Overview of Van Dhan Scheme
|Name of the Scheme||Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana|
|Launched by||Prime Minister Narendra Modi with Ministry of Tribal Affairs & TRIFED|
|Launch Year||14th April, 2018|
|Objective of the scheme||The scheme aims at the empowering of tribal communities through value addition of tribal products|
|Beneficiaries||Tribal people across India|
|Monitored by||Ministry of Tribal Affairs & TRIFED|
Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana is an initiative by govt of India that aims at generating livelihoods by harnessing the resources available in the forest. The scheme aims at utilizing the traditional knowledge and skills of tribals in product packaging, branding and, marketing by setting up a market-led enterprise model called Van Dhan Kendras(VDVKs)
Under this scheme, the government set-up Van Dhan Vikas Kendra in various states that provides necessary skills up-gradation, capacity building for maximizing the return.
Also Read, PM Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana
Objective of the scheme
The primary objective of Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana is to increase the income of tribal people through the value addition of tribal products.
- Promote and encourage the socio-economic development of the tribal community by improving and developing the market for tribal goods.
- TRIFED acts as a medium and a facilitator that helps tribes sell their products.
- Tribal products include tribal arts, textiles, metal crafts, tribal painting pottery, etc.
- The sales of these products generate a major part of their income.
TRIFED and its Rule
TRIFED stands for Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India was launched by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs in 1987.
The primary Functions of TRIFED are:
- Promote retail marketing of tribal products
- Development of new MFP (Minor Forest Produce)