What is the scheme of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao?
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao means “Save the Daughter, Educate the daughter” is a slogan and initiative by the Govt. of India to educate and empower all the girls of our country. The scheme was launched by PM Narendra Modi on 22 Jan 2015. The main objective of this scheme is to address the child(2-6 years) sex ratio and to generate awareness among the parents. It is run by the Ministry of Child Affairs and Ministry of health and family welfare
We live in a country where still giving birth to a baby girl is considered unlucky. People still kill the female foeticide before they born. According to the 2001 census data in India, child sex ration was 927/1000 which means 927 girls per 1000 boys. In the 2011 census, it became 918 girls per 1000. Apparently it is not visible the sharp difference, but if you consider the data with 1.3 billion population, It becomes a huge national problem. Because girls are the medium that helps to transform one generation to the next generation.
The Scheme was initially started with a budget of $14 million(100cr). Initially, 100 districts across the country were selected where the child sex ratio(CSR) ration was found low.
The objectives of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao are:
- Prevention of gender-biased sex selective elimination.
- To ensure the survival & protection of the girl child.
- To ensure the education and participation of the girl child.
- Aware girls of all the welfare scheme
Benefits of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao are
- Reducing Sex Ratio at Birth(RSB): It has been found that out of the 100 districts that adopted this scheme initially had seen a positive trend in almost all districts, The scheme primarily helps states like Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar where RSB was low earlier has seen a good response.
- Bringing girls child right into focus: The scheme extensively helps parents to understand the right and responsibility as a parent. Earlier girls were deprived of completing primary education and were forced to early marriage. That leads to many problems like high child mortality rate, delivery problems for mothers under 15 and many more.
Who is the current brand ambassador of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao?
Sakshi Malik, an Indian Olympic bronze medalist was made the brand ambassador Beti Bachao Beti Padhao